Saturday, January 19, 2013

Rockin' Around the Block

One of my new favorite alterables is the simple form of a wood block. I happen to have a little stash of vintage wood ABC blocks, and I dug into them for some inspiration. W is for Winter.
The Front of the block. I used the original blue W, sanded it a bit to lighten the color, added distress ink, 
and coated the W with clear glass glitter for an ice crystal effect.

One of the sides, collaged with tissue tape, edges sanded and distress, and a 
felt snowflake layered with clear glass glitter and a little gem to finish it off.

This side was was covered with Christmas themed tissue tape, and some vintage style ephemera snippets, a little  silver glitter star with gem and dusted with vintage mica snow flakes.

This side was covered with a vintage style sticker, edges sanded and inked and a little Stickles for
dimension.

And these two photos show the top of the block. I layered two vintage buttons on the bottom
a large one, a smaller one, and topped it with a vintage chandelier prism. I liked the icicle knob effect that it gave to the piece. Of course I sanded and inked the edges and dusted the edges with that glorious vintage mica snow, that I pulled from my stash! I really liked the way it turned out. a tiny piece of art to tuck on a shelf. After I had already glued the buttons together and onto the block, I thought that I could have put some snow, or beads under the bottom button as it domed up quite a bit. It would have given it a little movement/snowglobe effect. Good thing I have the rest of the alphabet still to work with!


No comments: